Family turn to law to speed up case




African News Agency


THE family of a murdered Emergency Communications Officer for the City’s fire and rescue service have approached their lawyers to light a fire under the State to speed up the court case, which has been for dragging for more than four years. This week, Michael Davids’ family made contact with their lawyers after the case was postponed from July to October and then to November. They believe the entire case could collapse due to tardy court proceedings at the Wynberg Regional Court. National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila told Weekend Argus they had made contact with the State. “I am waiting for a response from Wynberg Court on the matter.” The State is set to prove that Shaquille Groep, Justin Hendricks, Shane Hendricks and Xavia Simpson were allegedly actively involved in Davids’ murder. Two of the suspects are out on bail. It is alleged that the group had given Davids a lift while he was walking home in Philippi, after an apparent argument with his girlfriend, in 2018. The couple were returning from Club Fever in Athlone after a night out. The group are alleged to have robbed Davids of his Sony Ericsson cellphone and belongings and to have urinated on him before dumping his body along Olieboom Road in Philippi. Davids’ body was found riddled with stab wounds, dressed only in his underpants. With the assistance of private investigator Johan Beukes, the suspects were apprehended via his stolen phone. The cellphone had been sold to a new buyer who had been found at his workplace in Montague Gardens. A witness took the stand last year and testified how he had bought the cellphone. Police sources close to the investigation told Weekend Argus their role was complete as they had secured the arrests and it was now in the hands of the State to do their work. Davids’ cousin, Danie Isaacs, who has regularly attended court proceedings, said he had approached his lawyer to draft a letter to the NPA. “We are not happy with how the case is moving as it has been four years. The case has been on the court roll since 2018, and every time there is a postponement. “If it is not the delay with the prosecutor, then it is the accused, or their lawyers do not pitch. The case is postponed for periods between three to four months at a time. We feel, as a family, that justice is going to fail us. “We are scared that this case will be thrown out of court because it has been so long on the court roll. We are keen to get this case done. “We are taking it to the Department of Justice also, as we can see this case moving to 2023, which will be five years.”